I was really disappointed in this recipe. I thought it was extremely bland. I love the concept of it though. Maybe I'll try it again and double the veggies, spices, and miso to give it more flavor.
Fennel-Ginger Miso Soup
Notes: Red miso paste is much darker in color and heartier in flavor than the more familiar white variety. Look for it in natural-foods stores; if you can't find it, use all white miso instead. PREP AND COOK TIME: About 30 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 62
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 7.1g
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 238mg
- Cholesterol: 3.9mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh fennel
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon each white and red miso paste (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add fennel, onion, and ginger. Stir often until fennel is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 cups broth.
- 2. Pour mixture into a blender and add miso. Whirl until as smooth as you like. Return to pan and add remaining 4 cups broth. Stir often over medium-low heat until hot. Ladle into bowls, then add chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews