Crushed fennel seeds give these buttery cookies a faint licorice flavor.
Yield: 8 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sugar or turbinado sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in fennel seeds and vanilla.
- Divide dough into 2 portions; roll each portion on wax paper into a 12" log. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut each log into about 1/4" thick slices, using a sharp knife; place slices on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle cookies with desired sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are barely golden. Cool 1 minute on pans; remove to wire racks to cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note