This has a sweet, refreshing taste. You don't taste the mustard, nor do you taste the vinegar: the flavors of the apples and fennel are dominant. I did leave out the celery because what I had was unusually bitter and I thought it would ruin the dish. I think the fennel gives this a nice "surprise" flavor--not too strong, but making the dish interesting and worthy of serving to a group.
Fennel Apple And Celery Slaw
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
Fennel has a delicate licorice flavor and adds a pleasant note in this tangy slaw with apples. This make-ahead side dish is perfect for entertaining and easily doubled for this crowd.
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and cut into very thin strips
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into strips
- 2 Gala apples, cut into strips
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; slowly pour in oil, whisking constantly.
- Add Fennel, apple and celery to dressing, tossing to combine. Cover and chill up to 4 hours. Toss well just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This