This soup came out deliciously! I added 1 jalepeno to give it a nice spice because I was making it for my boyfriend who had a cold. Also, I used kale instead of watercress which was yummy, but I'm sure the watercress would have been too. Highly recommended!
Fennel Apple Bisque
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 207
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 5.4g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Sodium: 1788mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1 large fennel bulb (1 1/2 lbs. with stalks)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (8 oz.), chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large (1 lb.) Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup fresh watercress leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- About 4 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Trim root end and stalks from fennel bulb; reserve some feathery fronds for garnish. Chop bulb to make about 4 cups.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter, add onion, and cook until limp, about 5 minutes. Add broth, fennel, and apple. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until fennel is soft when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in watercress and cook until wilted.
- 3. Purée soup in a blender in batches, holding lid down with a towel. Pour back into pan, thin with more broth if you like, and reheat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4. Serve topped with fennel fronds and crumbled blue cheese.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews