Fava Green, Grapefruit, and Flower Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Kevin Crafts
Since the greens are eaten raw, be sure they're very tender.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 107
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons roasted walnut oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 qts. lightly packed fava greens* and tender sprigs
- Edible flowers such as fava, borage, rosemary, mustard, or individual chive petals (optional)
- 1. Zest 1/2 grapefruit, then cut off outer peel and membrane from both grapefruit. Cut fruit into thin rounds, saving juice.
- 2. Combine zest, juice, oil, shallot, salt, and pepper in a bowl and stir to blend. Toss fava greens and sprigs with dressing.
- 3. Spoon greens onto plates and tuck grapefruit into salads. If you like, scatter flowers on top.
- *Find at farmers' markets.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note