It was very good, good way to use the fava beans in my farm box this week. A little time-intensive, though, probably best for a weekend supper or if you can do all the veggie prep in advance.
Fava Bean Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella and Prosciutto
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 266
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 691mg
- Calcium: 167mg
- 4 1/2 pounds unshelled fava beans (about 2 1/4 cups shelled)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leek (about 2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove beans from pods; discard pods. Cook beans in boiling water 1 minute. Remove beans with a slotted spoon. Plunge beans into ice water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins. Set beans aside.
- Arrange prosciutto in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 400° for 7 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil); keep warm over low heat.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add rice and thyme; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add white wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in beans, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in arugula and cheese. Top with prosciutto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This