Faux Puff Pastry
This pastry is very quick to put together and mimics the flakiness of classic puff pastry. Sour cream gives the dough a tender texture. Be sure to chill butter before starting. Prep: 10 minutes, Chill: 30 minutes.
This recipe goes with Cheese Twists
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, leaving it in pea-size bits (larger than for a typical piecrust). Stir in sour cream. (Dough will not be cohesive.) Turn onto a floured work surface, and knead gently.
- 2. Pat into a square, and roll into an 8- x 10-inch rectangle. Dust both sides of dough with flour, fold in thirds (like a business letter), and flip dough over. Turn it 90°, and repeat process. Chill 30 minutes.
- Other uses for Faux Puff Pastry:
- Line mini-muffin pans with pastry, fill with quiche ingredients, and bake for appetizers.
- Follow same technique as above, but fill with jam or preserves for fruit tartlets.
- Fill 3-inch triangles of pastry with 2 teaspoons of seasoned, cooked ground meat; fold over, pinch closed, and bake.
- Roll triangles into crescent shapes for flaky dinner rolls. Add a little ham or cheese into wide end of triangle before rolling it up.
- Roll into a circle and place on top of chicken stew before baking for chicken pot pie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This