Faux Puff Pastry
This pastry is very quick to put together and mimics the flakiness of classic puff pastry. Sour cream gives the dough a tender texture. Be sure to chill butter before starting. Prep: 10 minutes, Chill: 30 minutes.
This recipe goes with Cheese Twists
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, leaving it in pea-size bits (larger than for a typical piecrust). Stir in sour cream. (Dough will not be cohesive.) Turn onto a floured work surface, and knead gently.
- 2. Pat into a square, and roll into an 8- x 10-inch rectangle. Dust both sides of dough with flour, fold in thirds (like a business letter), and flip dough over. Turn it 90°, and repeat process. Chill 30 minutes.
- Other uses for Faux Puff Pastry:
- Line mini-muffin pans with pastry, fill with quiche ingredients, and bake for appetizers.
- Follow same technique as above, but fill with jam or preserves for fruit tartlets.
- Fill 3-inch triangles of pastry with 2 teaspoons of seasoned, cooked ground meat; fold over, pinch closed, and bake.
- Roll triangles into crescent shapes for flaky dinner rolls. Add a little ham or cheese into wide end of triangle before rolling it up.
- Roll into a circle and place on top of chicken stew before baking for chicken pot pie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note