Fast Fried Artichokes
These are a delightful surprise and worth the time. This is based on the Italian fritto misto, or mixed fry, that includes small pieces of battered and fried meats, fish, and vegetables, especially artichokes. Keep fried artichokes warm between batches on a rack in a jelly-roll pan in a 225° oven for up to 30 minutes.
More From Southern Living
Fry: 5 Minutes
- 2 (14-oz.) cans artichoke bottoms, rinsed and drained
- Canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Mayo Mixtures:
- Chipotle-Lime Mayo
- Garlic-Lemon Mayo
- Herb-Shallot Mayo
- Pepperoncini Mayo
- 1. Pat artichokes dry with paper towels; cut each into fourths.
- 2. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
- 3. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in another bowl.
- 4. Toss artichokes in flour. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- 5. Fry artichokes, in batches, in hot oil 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with Mayo Mixtures.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note