- 1 (16-oz.) package rigatoni pasta
- 1 (1-lb.) package ground pork sausage with sage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup hot pasta water.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large, 2-inch-deep skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Add onion, zucchini, and carrots; cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is tender. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine and reserved pasta water; cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen bits from bottom of skillet.
Add tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sausage mixture over pasta; sprinkle with cheese.