I only made the dressing and used it on a spinach salad. I doubled this recipe for all ingredients except the garlic. 2 cloves for what was about 1/4 cup of dressing seemed an awful lot so I figured it would be okay doubling the rest but leave the garlic at the 2 cloves and maybe it would be ok…based on noone else mentioned it in reviews. It was still entirely too much garlic that it over powered the taste of the dressing. I like garlic but maybe my garlic was just much more pungent than the others who reviewed this…?! If I make this dressing recipe again, I will use 1/2 clove garlic for a single batch of it…1 small clove if I double the recipe.
Farro Salad with Roasted Beets, Watercress, and Poppy Seed Dressing
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
Farro is an ancient grain from Tuscany available at Mediterranean and specialty foods stores. Substitute wheat berries or spelt, but cook them a little longer than the farro.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 3/4 cups salad and about 3 tablespoons dressing)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 351
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 604mg
- Calcium: 140mg
- 2 bunches small beets, trimmed
- 2/3 cup uncooked farro
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups trimmed watercress
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Wrap beets in foil. Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Cool; peel and thinly slice.
- 3. Place farro and 3 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until farro is tender. Drain and cool. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Arrange 1 1/2 cups watercress on a serving platter; top with half of farro, 1/4 cup onion, and half of sliced beets. Repeat layers with remaining 1 1/2 cups watercress, remaining farro, remaining 1/4 cup onion, and remaining beets. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- 5. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and remaining ingredients; stir well with a whisk. Drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note