I really liked this salad. I burned a few of the pita chips but the yogurt mixture has a great flavor. It was hard to save the pita chips for lunch the next day. I wanted to keep eating them. It makes a great lunch the next day. As a matter of fact, the salad tastes better the next day so I may make it and let it refrigerate overnight before serving next time.
Farro Salad with Creamy Feta
Good news, whole-grain shoppers! Precooked farro is popping up in both the grain aisle and the frozen-foods section of many supermarkets. Alternatively, you can cook up a batch of unpearled farro in about 45 minutes--it keeps, refrigerated, for up to 1 week and freezes beautifully.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Carbohydrate: 56.2g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 589mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups precooked whole-grain farro
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup organic canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (6-inch) whole-wheat pita
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened (about 1/4 cup)
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add farro; toss gently to combine.
- 3. Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Add tomato mixture to farro mixture; toss gently to combine.
- 4. Split pita into 2 rounds; cut each round into 6 wedges. Lightly coat pita with cooking spray; sprinkle with paprika. Arrange pita wedges on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until crisp.
- 5. Combine yogurt, 2 tablespoons water, cream cheese, and feta, stirring with a whisk. Serve with farro salad and pita chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note