Perfection! I don't often make entree salads but this restored my faith. Great combo of ingredients.
Farro, Green Bean, and Fennel Salad with Tuna
To make this a full whole-grain salad, avoid pearled farro, which has been partially processed. Yes, it takes a little longer, but to save time, hunt down some precooked whole-grain farro. It's found on the rice aisle. The recipe, however, begins with uncooked grain, which needs an hour in the pot and a little time to cool. We recently tasted--and loved--Wild Planet's wild albacore tuna, jarred in olive oil, which is firm, meaty, rich, and moist. We also love that it's sustainable, 100% pole and troll caught. Visit wildplanetfoods.com to purchase online or locate retailers.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 16.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Carbohydrate: 29.4g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 613mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole-grain farro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup very thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 small bulb)
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 (4.5-ounce) jars sustainable oil-packed albacore tuna, drained (such as Wild Planet)
- 1. Combine farro, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 60 minutes or until farro is tender but still slightly chewy. Drain. Cool slightly.
- 2. While farro cooks, fill another medium saucepan two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Add green beans; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- 3. Combine oil, vinegar, juice, mustard, and garlic in a large bowl; stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add farro, beans, tomatoes, and next 4 ingredients (through green onions); toss well to combine. Flake tuna into large chunks. Add tuna to salad; toss gently to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This