- 1 8-oz. pkg. elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
How to Make It
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in one tablespoon melted butter for one minute. Stir in flour until smooth.
Gradually stir in milk and broth, cooking and stirring until slightly thickened. Stir in chicken, seasonings, cheese, peas and bacon. Mix in macaroni.
Spoon into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Combine bread crumbs with remaining butter; sprinkle over top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.