OMG! If I were strictly vegetarian, I could eat this every night! The combination of grilled veggies, fresh herbs, and melty cheese is to die for. We used Havarti, which seemed to compliment the veggies very well. We didn't layer the veggies as suggested, but simply laid everything out buffet style to create our own sandwiches. We will make these often.
Grilled Farmers' Market Sandwiches
More From Cooking Light
Total: 33 Minutes
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 15.8g
- Carbohydrate: 45.5g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 670mg
- Calcium: 249mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices eggplant
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) ciabatta bread portions, cut in half horizontally
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1-ounce) slices provolone cheese, halved
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 8 basil leaves
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 2. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly over both sides of eggplant, onion, and zucchini. Sprinkle with rosemary, pepper, and salt.
- 3. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and vinegar in a bowl. Brush vinegar mixture over cut sides of bread.
- 4. Place onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from grill, and separate into rings. Grill eggplant and zucchini 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut zucchini pieces in half crosswise.
- 5. Place bread, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 2 minutes. Remove from grill. Place 1 piece of cheese on bottom halves bread portions; top each serving with 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 2 pieces zucchini, one-fourth of onion rings, 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 1 piece of cheese, and top half of bread. Place sandwiches on grill rack; grill 2 minutes, covered, or until cheese melts.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note