nope, not what we had in Germany... I googled 'german punkin soup' and found a recipe that called for fresh punkin and a butternut squash. A friend of mine suggested adding a can of candied yams for the squash... the pureed down to 2 cups. i added about 3 cups of the soup.... MUCH more betta!
Farmer John's Pumpkin Soup
Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes. With roasted fresh pumpkin as its base, this easy-to-make soup is accented with sage and spice. Notes: You can make the soup through step 3 up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Reheat over medium heat, covered, stirring often.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 161
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- 1 leek (8 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery (4 oz.), rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups Mashed Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 green apple (8 oz.), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves or dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 cup crème frâiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. Trim and discard root end and tough dark green tops from leek. Slice leek in half lengthwise and rinse well, flipping layers under cool running water to remove dirt. Slice thinly crosswise.
- 2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, melt butter. Add leek, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic; stir often until onion is limp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, Mashed Pumpkin, apple cider, apple, ginger, sage, cinnamon, and allspice; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Whirl soup, a portion at a time, in a blender (holding lid down with a towel) until puréed, and pour into a bowl. Return all soup to pan and stir often over high heat until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup crème frâiche or sour cream and lemon peel. Ladle soup into bowls or mugs. Garnish with a dollop of crème frâiche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note