this was an easy recipe, but the flavor was disappointing. i think this was due to only ten minutes of cooking. flavors were bright, but no depth. i did like the ricotta, nice touch, along with the mint.
Farfalle with Lamb Ragu, Ricotta, and Mint
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
A classic flavor combination, lamb and mint meet bow-tie pasta for a hearty weeknight meal.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 464
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 54.7g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 629mg
- Calcium: 157mg
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb; cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove lamb from pan with a slotted spoon; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Discard drippings from pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 2 teaspoons oil, onion, and carrot; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rosemary and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 2. Return lamb to pan; add wine. Increase heat to medium-high; cook for 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer. Partially cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. While sauce simmers, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return pasta to pan. Stir in 1 cup sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Spoon 1 cup pasta mixture onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 3/4 cup remaining sauce, 2 tablespoons ricotta, and 1 tablespoon mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note