Farfalle in a Broth of Wild Mushrooms and Browned Shallots
Community Recipe from
- 6 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 lb. fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 lb. dried farfalle
- 4 shallots (about 3 oz. total), sliced crosswise into 1/4- to 1/8-inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups low-salt canned chicken broth
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce; more to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Stem the shiitake and oyster mushrooms and thinly slice the caps. Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Put the pasta in the water. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil and the shallots to the skillet. Season with salt and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the shallots brown and soften, 2 to 4 minutes (don’t let them burn). Raise the heat to high, add the sherry, and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the sherry is almost completely boiled off, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth. After 2 minutes, return the mushrooms to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and cook the broth another 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the thyme and Tabasco and taste for salt and pepper.
- Finish cooking the farfalle until it’s just tender, about 11 minutes total. Drain and put back in the pasta pot. Pour the broth and mushrooms over the pasta and stir well. Serve immediately in bowls with a generous amount of the Parmigiano.
- serving suggestions
- A salad of Arugula with Blood Oranges, Fennel & Ricotta Salata makes a nice contrast to the dish. Serve with toasty garlic bread as well.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Calories (kcal): 510; Fat (g): 17; Fat Calories (kcal): 160; Saturated Fat (g): 3; Protein (g): 16; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 11; Carbohydrates (g): 69; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2; Sodium (mg): 610; Cholesterol (mg): 5; Fiber (g): 4;
- photo: Scott Phillips
- From Fine Cooking 60 , pp. 98c
- October 1, 2003
This recipe is a personal recipe added by batesballard22 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Farfalle in a Broth of Wild Mushrooms and Browned Shallots Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes