Fall Vegetable Hash
Photo: Melina Hammer; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
Sub any of your favorite root vegetables for the potatoes and turnips.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 4 thick bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet potato (about 10 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips (about 12 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pound small fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1. Cook bacon in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon; drain, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Coarsely chop bacon.
- 2. Add oil to hot drippings in skillet. Cook onion and sweet potato in hot oil and drippings over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add turnips; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- 3. Combine vinegar and 2 Tbsp. water. Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, and vinegar mixture to skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in bacon; add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note