Fall Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Crisp lettuces and fresh oranges are tossed with a creamy homemade dressing similar to ranch. Feathery fennel fronds make a pretty garnish. Prepare the croutons and dressing the day before; store the croutons at room temperature in a zip-top plastic bag, and put the dressing in the refrigerator. Dress the salad just before serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 90
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 4 ounces Hawaiian sweet bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 large bulb)
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 1 1/2 cups orange sections (about 3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare croutons, place the bread cubes on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp, stirring once. Cool completely.
- To prepare dressing, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots, cumin, and coriander; sauté 3 minutes or until shallots are tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice and vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice, buttermilk, and next 5 ingredients (through pepper), stirring with a whisk. Stir in shallot mixture.
- To prepare salad, combine lettuce, fennel bulb, and radicchio in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 1 1/4 cups salad over each of 8 salad plates; top evenly with orange sections and onion. Sprinkle evenly with croutons and fennel fronds, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note