- 4 ounces Hawaiian sweet bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 large bulb)
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 1 1/2 cups orange sections (about 3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds (optional)
- calories 90
- caloriesfromfat 15 %
- fat 1.5 g
- satfat 0.5 g
- monofat 0.5 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 3.1 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- cholesterol 5 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 160 mg
- calcium 64 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare croutons, place the bread cubes on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp, stirring once. Cool completely.
To prepare dressing, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots, cumin, and coriander; sauté 3 minutes or until shallots are tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice and vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice, buttermilk, and next 5 ingredients (through pepper), stirring with a whisk. Stir in shallot mixture.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce, fennel bulb, and radicchio in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 1 1/4 cups salad over each of 8 salad plates; top evenly with orange sections and onion. Sprinkle evenly with croutons and fennel fronds, if desired.