Fall Green Salad with Apples, Nuts, and Pain d'Épice Dressing
The spices in this salad are like those in French gingerbread, or pain d'épice. If you make it with walnut oil, use walnuts; if you make it with hazelnut oil, use hazelnuts.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 73%
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3/4 cup walnut halves or hazelnuts
- 2 cups 1/2-in. cubes rustic multigrain loaf with crusts removed
- 4 tablespoons roasted walnut oil* or roasted hazelnut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- About 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and pepper
- 2 qts. lightly packed small lettuce leaves or pieces, preferably a mix of colors
- 2 cups lightly packed frisée
- 1 tart-sweet apple such as Jonathan, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Put walnuts in a pie pan. In another pie pan, toss bread with 1 tbsp. oil. Bake walnuts and bread, stirring occasionally, until walnuts are golden and croutons are golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool. Coarsely chop nuts.
- 2. Whisk remaining 3 tbsp. oil, the zest, orange juice, spices, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss gently with lettuce, frisée, apple, nuts, and croutons. Add more salt and pepper to taste if you like.
- *Find at well-stocked grocery stores and latourangelle.com
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note