Would add more cumin to the patties, and put cilantro in the avocado spread next time - otherwise awesome!
Falafel with Avocado Spread
The beauty of this Latin twist on the classic Middle Eastern falafel sandwich is its simplicity, and of course, flavor. Garnish with microgreens and sliced red onion.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed pita half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.4g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 188mg
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions and greens.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches