- Tahini sauce:
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggplants (about 12 ounces each)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- calories 308
- fat 15.6 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- monofat 7.4 g
- polyfat 3.8 g
- protein 12.1 g
- carbohydrate 34.3 g
- fiber 10.8 g
- cholesterol 106 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 450 mg
- calcium 116 mg
How to Make It
To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 475°.
To prepare eggplant, slice the eggplants in half lengthwise; score cut sides with a crosshatch pattern. Place the eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 7 minutes or until slightly tender and browned. Remove from oven; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/4-inch shell. Reserve pulp for another use. Season cut sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 11 ingredients (through chickpeas) in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon 1/2 cup chickpea mixture into each eggplant shell. Bake at 475° for 25 minutes or until eggplant halves are tender and chickpea mixture is lightly browned.
To prepare relish, combine the tomato and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir to combine.
Place 1 eggplant half on each of 4 plates. Top each half with 1/4 cup relish and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.