Falafel Pitas with Goat Cheese Sauce
These baked chickpea patties are much leaner than traditional falafel. Using soaked (but not cooked) dried chickpeas creates a hearty flavor and texture for the falafel that you won't get with canned beans. A small amount of goat cheese goes far in the yogurt sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 450
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 24.9g
- Carbohydrate: 72.3g
- Fiber: 14.9g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 6.2mg
- Sodium: 997mg
- Calcium: 315mg
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (6-inch) whole wheat pita, torn into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 cup chopped seeded English cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft (log-style) goat cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Remaining ingredient:
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, halved
- To prepare falafel, sort and wash chickpeas, and place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine chickpeas and next 11 ingredients (through 2 chopped garlic cloves) in a food processor; pulse 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Spoon mixture into a bowl. Add egg whites to chickpea mixture, and stir well. Let stand 15 minutes. Divide mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To prepare relish, combine tomato and next 5 ingredients (through chile).
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt, goat cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Place 2 falafel patties in each pita half; spoon about 1/3 cup relish and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce into each pita half. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note