- 1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (6-inch) whole wheat pita, torn into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 cup chopped seeded English cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft (log-style) goat cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Remaining ingredient:
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, halved
- calories 450
- caloriesfromfat 17 %
- fat 8.7 g
- satfat 3.3 g
- monofat 1.8 g
- polyfat 2.1 g
- protein 24.9 g
- carbohydrate 72.3 g
- fiber 14.9 g
- cholesterol 10 mg
- iron 6.2 mg
- sodium 997 mg
- calcium 315 mg
How to Make It
To prepare falafel, sort and wash chickpeas, and place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350º.
Combine chickpeas and next 11 ingredients (through 2 chopped garlic cloves) in a food processor; pulse 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Spoon mixture into a bowl. Add egg whites to chickpea mixture, and stir well. Let stand 15 minutes. Divide mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
To prepare relish, combine tomato and next 5 ingredients (through chile).
To prepare sauce, combine yogurt, goat cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Place 2 falafel patties in each pita half; spoon about 1/3 cup relish and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce into each pita half. Serve immediately.