This is one of my go to make-ahead lunches. I fry up the falafel on Sunday and have falafel pitas for the week. It is so easy and delicious, but I add a spicy harissa sauce on top of everything for some heat.
If you don't have time to make the sauce, use commercial hummus thinned with lemon juice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed pita)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 303
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40.6g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 569mg
- Calcium: 133mg
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1. To prepare sauce, combine the first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- 2. To prepare falafel, drain chickpeas in a colander over a bowl; reserve liquid. Place chickpeas, 3 tablespoons liquid (discard remaining liquid), breadcrumbs, and next 5 ingredients (through cumin) in a food processor; process until minced. Divide chickpea mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Spread about 1/4 cup sauce into each pita half. Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup tomato, about 2 tablespoons sliced cucumber, 1 tablespoon sliced onion, and 2 patties.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches