Not bad...I used only half the cilantro out of caution and because I was pressed for time (2 cups of fresh cilantro leaves is a LOT); but I think it would have been better with the full amount. Overall the recipe seemed to work, but I would chop the onions and leeks more finely first as even my Cuisinart food processor had trouble achieving a consistent texture. Fortunately I added the garlic cloves first and minced them before adding the other ingredients. 3 minutes per side was about right for the cook time, although I did put the lid on to ensure the onions cooked, and the patties didn't brown all that much. They were quite delicate, and while this might have been fine in a pita, they could have used a binding agent for simply eating with a fork. The sauce was ok but not great; I'm not sure if it needed more of something or an additional ingredient. I love chickpeas and would make this again, with the above changes.
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 430
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 63.3g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calcium: 140mg
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans; about 12 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 leek, trimmed and cut into 3 pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Yogurt-Tahini Dip
- 8 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- Sort and wash chickpeas; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine chickpeas, cilantro, and next 8 ingredients (cilantro though leek) in a food processor; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Divide chickpea mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add 5 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure twice with remaining oil and patties.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Yogurt-Tahini Dip in each pita half; fill with 1 patty.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes