The roast was saved only because of an instant read thermometer! I added red onions and mushrooms to the gravy. And cayenne and fresh rosemary. The family thought the gravy smelled great and asked for grits to accompany....
Eye of Round Roast with Pan Juices
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Stephana Bottom
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 45g
- Carbohydrate: 1g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 324mg
- 1 eye of round roast, about 3 1/2 lb., trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Season roast all over with salt and pepper.
- 2. Oil a roasting rack and place it in a roasting pan just large enough to hold the beef.
- 3. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, turning often, until lightly browned all over, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to rack and roast until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 125°F for medium-rare, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove roast to a cutting board, tent with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- 4. Place roasting pan on stove over medium-high heat. Pour in wine and cook, stirring to pick any browned bits on bottom of pan, until liquid has reduced slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour in broth, increase heat to high and boil until thickened and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Slice roast against grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange on a platter and spoon over some of juices. Serve additional juices on the side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note