Notes: Store airtight at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Yield: Makes 5 dozen cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 58
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8.4g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1. Mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, pepper, cardamom, cloves, and salt.
- 2. In a large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat 3/4 cup butter with brown sugar until well blended. Add egg and molasses; beat until fluffy.
- 3. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed to blend, then on medium speed until well mixed.
- 4. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and pat into a flat cake. Freeze about 20 minutes, or chill 1 to 2 hours until firm.
- 5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll to coat with granulated sugar, and set at least 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
- 6. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until slightly darker brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes (if using 1 oven, switch pan positions after 5 min.).
- 7. Cool on pan about 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool. Serve, or store airtight.
- Nutritional analysis per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note