1. Mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, pepper, cardamom, cloves, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat 3/4 cup butter with brown sugar until well blended. Add egg and molasses; beat until fluffy.
3. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed to blend, then on medium speed until well mixed.
4. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and pat into a flat cake. Freeze about 20 minutes, or chill 1 to 2 hours until firm.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll to coat with granulated sugar, and set at least 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
6. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until slightly darker brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes (if using 1 oven, switch pan positions after 5 min.).
7. Cool on pan about 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool. Serve, or store airtight.
Nutritional analysis per cookie.