Espresso Cream Cake with Chile-Chocolate Sauce
Mocha beverages are popular at Isabel Cruz's restaurants. The addition of a chile pepper to one of her chocolate-coffee concoctions was the inspiration for this chocolate sauce. It has just a little heat and could also be served over vanilla ice cream. She added the espresso cream "to give you something creamy to drag a bite of your cake through." Strong brewed coffee can substitute for the brewed espresso, if you don't have an espresso machine. Instant coffee will work in a pinch for the finely ground espresso.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 38.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 95mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour (about 5 1/3 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons brewed espresso, cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely ground espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Espresso cream:
- 1/2 cup firm silken tofu (about 1/2 [12.3-ounce] package)
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso, cooled
- Chocolate sauce:
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour and 3 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Combine 3 tablespoons of brewed espresso, ground espresso, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Sift flour mixture evenly over the top of egg yolk mixture; stir just until moist.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy using clean, dry beaters. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into batter; gently fold remaining egg white mixture into batter.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan 1 hour; run a knife around outside edge; remove sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare espresso cream, combine tofu, condensed milk, and 1/4 cup of brewed espresso in a blender; process until smooth. Chill.
- To prepare chocolate sauce, combine chocolate and fat-free milk in a 1-cup glass measure; microwave at high 1 minute or until chocolate is almost melted. Add chile powder, stirring until smooth. Spoon espresso cream onto dessert plates, spreading evenly. Drizzle chocolate sauce in center of espresso cream; top with a cake slice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note