Espresso Angel Food Cake
Annabelle Breakey; Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Protein: 3.5g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/4 cups sifted whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sift together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. espresso powder (push through sieve). Sift again; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix remaining 1 tbsp. espresso powder with 1 tsp. hot water. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl or standing mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are firm but not dry. Beat in liquid espresso mixture.
- 4. Sift 1/3 of flour mixture onto egg whites and, with a rubber or silicone spatula, gently fold into whites. Add remaining flour in 2 batches, folding in gently after each addition. Turn batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake until browned and firm, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 5. Invert cake (in pan) on a cooling rack and let cool completely, at least 1 hour. Run a long, thin, sharp knife between cake and pan to loosen; remove cake. Keep covered, at room temperature, up to 1 day.
- Note: Nutrition analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts