- 8 ounces escarole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup chopped prosciutto or Westphalian ham (1 oz.)
- 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
- calories 196
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- protein 19 g
- fat 5.4 g
- satfat 1 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 6.2 g
- sodium 360 mg
- cholesterol 7.6 mg
How to Make It
Cut base off escarole; rinse and drain leaves. Cut leaves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
Set a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, onion, garlic, and prosciutto; stir often until onion is limp, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add broth and beans, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in escarole and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and offer cheese to add to taste.