Escarole Salad with Chopped Egg and Anchovy Vinaigrette
Escarole--a yellowish green variety of chicory--is ideal for a buffet because the broad, hearty leaves don't wilt when dressed (the salad is even crunchy the next day). Prep Time: 30 minutes.
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 120
- Calories from fat: 75%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 4.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 3 to 4 bunches escarole, tough green outer leaves discarded (1/2 to 1/3 of each head, to be saved for another use such as soup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 chopped anchovy fillets plus 2 whole fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, cooled, peeled, and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1. Soak escarole in cold water and dry by rolling in a kitchen towel. Tear each leaf into 2 or 3 large pieces and chill while you make the dressing.
- 2. In a mortar or a food processor, pound or whirl garlic, salt, and pepper until garlic is a paste. Add chopped anchovies and pound or process to a paste. Add lemon juice and olive oil and whisk or process to combine.
- 3. Pour dressing over escarole leaves and toss thoroughly to coat. Arrange on a large serving platter and scatter with grated egg. Slice whole anchovies lengthwise into thin strips and arrange on top.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This