- 3 to 4 bunches escarole, tough green outer leaves discarded (1/2 to 1/3 of each head, to be saved for another use such as soup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 chopped anchovy fillets plus 2 whole fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, cooled, peeled, and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- calories 120
- caloriesfromfat 75 %
- protein 3.9 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- carbohydrate 4.1 g
- fiber 2.4 g
- sodium 253 mg
- cholesterol 60 mg
How to Make It
Soak escarole in cold water and dry by rolling in a kitchen towel. Tear each leaf into 2 or 3 large pieces and chill while you make the dressing.
In a mortar or a food processor, pound or whirl garlic, salt, and pepper until garlic is a paste. Add chopped anchovies and pound or process to a paste. Add lemon juice and olive oil and whisk or process to combine.
Pour dressing over escarole leaves and toss thoroughly to coat. Arrange on a large serving platter and scatter with grated egg. Slice whole anchovies lengthwise into thin strips and arrange on top.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.