Escabéche Casa del Sol (Marinated Vegetables)
Escabéche (es-keh-bensh) is a marinated Spanish fish dish. Here, vegetables are marinated instead for a refreshing salsa that can be served as an appetizer with chips. This recipe from Casa del Sol is inherently healthy--we simply decreased the oil.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 86
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 438mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) diagonally sliced carrot (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 (12-ounce) jar sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, undrained
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups small cauliflower florets
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled jicama, cut into triangles
- 6 cups (1/4-inch-thick) diagonally sliced zucchini
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place peppercorns, thyme, marjoram, oregano, and bay leaves on a triple layer of cheesecloth. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth together, and tie securely. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves); trim about 1/4 inch from top of garlic. Combine the garlic, carrot, oil, and onions in a Dutch oven. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Stir vegetables; add spice bag to onion mixture. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Peel garlic cloves; place garlic, vegetables, and spice bag in a large bowl.
- Drain jalapeños over a bowl, reserving liquid. Place the Dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in the reserved jalapeño juice and vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add water, and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and jicama; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add cauliflower mixture, jalapeños, and zucchini to vegetable mixture. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard spice bag; cover and store in refrigerator.
- Note: Vegetable mixture can be stored up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator; serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note