- Cooking spray
- 1 (16-ounce) package turkey breakfast sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup bottled roasted red bell pepper, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (13-ounce) package whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- calories 356
- fat 14.9 g
- satfat 7.2 g
- protein 28.4 g
- carbohydrate 24.5 g
- cholesterol 172 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 900 mg
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- fiber 2.7 g
- calcium 363 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage and next 3 ingredients; sauté 9 minutes or until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain and set aside.
Cut muffin halves into quarters, and arrange in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle half of sausage mixture and 1 cup cheese over muffins.
Combine eggs, egg whites, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour evenly over mixture in baking dish. Top with remaining sausage mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.