Endive Salad with Pancetta
This salad showcases several wonderful ingredients: slender heads of pale green endive, salty Italian bacon, and bold blue cheese. Use the whole endive leaves that surround the plate to scoop up the yummy salad toppings.
- 4 thin slices pancetta or other bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 2 heads Belgian endive, julienne-sliced
- 2 stalks celery, julienne-sliced
- 1 Red Delicious apple, diced
- 1 1/2 cups small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 head Belgian endive, separated into leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (we tested with Maytag)
- Sauté pancetta and shallot in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned. Add mirin and wine vinegar; simmer 2 minutes. Whisk in oil. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Combine sliced endive, celery, apple, and mushrooms; sprinkle with lemon juice, and toss well. Arrange salad on individual serving plates. Tuck several endive leaves around edge of each salad. Drizzle with reserved warm dressing, and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads