- 4 thin slices pancetta or other bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 2 heads Belgian endive, julienne-sliced
- 2 stalks celery, julienne-sliced
- 1 Red Delicious apple, diced
- 1 1/2 cups small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 head Belgian endive, separated into leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (we tested with Maytag)
How to Make It
Sauté pancetta and shallot in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned. Add mirin and wine vinegar; simmer 2 minutes. Whisk in oil. Set aside, and keep warm.
Combine sliced endive, celery, apple, and mushrooms; sprinkle with lemon juice, and toss well. Arrange salad on individual serving plates. Tuck several endive leaves around edge of each salad. Drizzle with reserved warm dressing, and sprinkle with blue cheese.