Endive-Apple Slaw with Smoked Trout
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 7.8g
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 heads Belgian endive (about 1 lb. total), rinsed
- 2 tart green apples, such as Granny Smith (about 1 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 6 ounces smoked trout
- 1. Pour 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice into a large bowl. Trim off and discard cores and any discolored leaves from endive heads. Cut each head in half lengthwise, then cut halves lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. As you cut the endive, drop the strips into bowl and mix with lemon juice to prevent them from discoloring.
- 2. Peel and core apples; cut into 2- to 3-inch-long, 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks, dropping into bowl and mixing with lemon juice and endive. Stir in parsley.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice with the oil; add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over endive mixture and mix to coat.
- 4. Mound salad equally on plates. Pull any skin off smoked trout and discard; break trout into large flakes. Top salads equally with trout.
- Nutritional analysis per first-course serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note