In order to get soft enchiladas you need to pre-cook the tortillas in oil, other wise they are to dry and will absorb all the sauce, to do this heat olive oil and dip your tortillas first to soften,drain before filling with your chicken or beef if you prefer.I always serve my enchilladas with an avacado salad and mexican rice.
Asadero, originally from Mexico, is a semisoft cow's milk cheese with a bright, pungent flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 386
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 36.5g
- Carbohydrate: 38.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 841mg
- Calcium: 205mg
- Salsa verde:
- 1 pound tomatillos (about 15)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Double-Herb Roasted Chicken (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded asadero cheese or Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Remaining ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Sliced jalapeÃ±o pepper (optional)
- To prepare salsa verde, discard husks and stems from tomatillos; cut into quarters. Combine tomatillos, 1 1/4 cups broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and chopped jalapeño in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Cool slightly. Place salsa verde in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth or mash with a potato masher. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add salsa verde; cook until reduced to 2 cups (about 1 minute).
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare enchilada filling, combine chicken and next 9 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a large bowl.
- Spread 1/2 cup salsa verde in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture downcenter of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, crosswise in dish. Pour remaining salsa verde evenly over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with sour cream, and garnish with sliced jalapeño, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes