I used turkey instead of beef, but found it (the meat) didn't have much flavor. Will definitely make again but will add seasoning to the meat as well as the sauce, to bump the flavor factor.
Photo: Johnny Autry and Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 32.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix (such as Old El Paso)
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and onion to pan; cook 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture to beef mixture; reserve 1/2 cup tomato mixture.
- 4. Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with 1 cup beef mixture. Repeat layers, ending with tortilla. Spread reserved tomato mixture over tortilla. Top with cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles