Easy and oh so delicious. I substututed ground turkey and chicken broth. Added cilantro and Jalapeno to the sauce. My husband, the cheese lover sprinkled extra cheese over his portion.
Make a hearty, healthy Mexican casserole the whole family will enjoy. Substitute ground turkey and chicken broth instead of beef, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 32.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix (such as Old El Paso)
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and onion to pan; cook 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture to beef mixture; reserve 1/2 cup tomato mixture.
- 4. Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with 1 cup beef mixture. Repeat layers, ending with tortilla. Spread reserved tomato mixture over tortilla. Top with cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note