- 1 (17-ounce) can yams
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange rind
- 2 1/22 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Additional sugar
- Combine yams, pineapple, 1 cup sugar, lemon and orange rind in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool; set aside.
- Combine flour, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle cold water evenly over surface; stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. Divide pastry into 22 to 24 portions. Roll each portion to a 3-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Place about 1 tablespoon pineapple mixture on each pastry circle. Moisten edges of circle; fold pastry in half, making sure edges are even.
- Using a fork dipped in flour, press edges of pastry together to seal. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sugar on each pastry. Place on baking sheets; bake at 350° for 30-minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note