Community Recipe from
- 3/4 cup(s) butter
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 12 ounce(s) small curd cottage cheese
- 7-8 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 1 pound(s) ground beef
- 1/2 cup(s) onion minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic salt
- To prepare the crust: Cut margarine into flour with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gently stir in cottage cheese. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until all flour is moistened. Gather dough into 2 flat balls. Refrigerate, covered, about 30 minutes.
- To prepare the filling: Brown ground beef in skillet with the next 6 ingredients; cool. (Ground beef mixture needs to be finely chopped.)
- Assembly: On lightly floured surface, roll one ball of dough to about 1/4" thickness. Cut with 2" round cookie cutter. Spoon 1 teaspoon meat mixture in center of dough circle; fold over to form a half circle. Seal edges with fork. Freeze on baking sheets until firm; transfer to food storage bags. Freeze up to 2 months.
- To Bake: Place frozen empanadas on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 F oven until golden brown (about 25 minutes). Serve immediately with salsa, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by GailMayer and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Empanadas Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers