This chicken mixture is fantastic and used with regular empanadas pastry instead of wonton wrappers. The filling is also great for lettuce wraps--wouldn't change a thing!!!
These little Latin turnovers are irresistible right out of the oven.
Yield: Makes 36 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 36
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 5.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 4.4mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 98mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 8 ounces skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs (optional)
- 36 (3-inch) square won ton wrappers
- Salt to taste
- Cook first 13 ingredients in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 5 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring often.
- Process chicken mixture in a food processor until coarsely chopped. (Mixture should be fairly dry. Add 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs if mixture is wet.) Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Arrange 1 won ton wrapper on a clean, flat surface. Lightly brush edges of wrapper with water. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in center of wrapper. Fold dough over filling, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and chicken mixture. Arrange empanadas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat empanadas with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This