Emeril's Backyard Chicken
Community Recipe from
- 8 Chicken leg quarters
- 2 ½ Tbsp. paprika
- • 2 Tbsp. each salt and garlic powder
- • 1 Tbsp. each black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregano and dried thyme
- • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- • ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- • 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- • 4 cups ketchup
- • ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- • 2 Tbsp. cane syrup
- • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- • ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- • 3 Tbsp. hot sauce
- • 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- • ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- • 8 chicken leg quarters
- • Salt
- • Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Whisk together paprika and next 7 dry seasonings; set aside.
- 2. Cook onion in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 4 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add next 8 ingredients, and 2 tsp. of paprika mixture, and bring to a boil. Reserve remaining seasoning for another use. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat; set aside to cool. Reserve 2 cups barbecue sauce in small bowl. Cover and chill remaining sauce up to 2 weeks.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-low (250 to 300 degrees F).
- 4. Season both sides of chicken quarters with salt and pepper. Grill, skin side down, on oiled rack over indirect heat 15 to 20 minutes. Turn chicken and brush with reserved barbecue sauce. Grill 20 to 30 minutes longer, turning every 10 minutes and basting with sauce, until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CherylB61 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Emeril's Backyard Chicken Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes