- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Gradually add broth and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in pepper. Add pimiento, white wine, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper sauce; stir well. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; add cheese, and stir until melted. Serve immediately.