These purses were a fun appetizer, although time and labor intensive to make. The broth in the clay pot chicken had a lot of flavor. I baked mine in the Deep Covered Baker (it isn't just for the microwave.) I would up the temp to 450 if you are using the DCB.
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Mary Catherine Muir
These make great appetizers all by themselves.
This recipe goes with Steamy Clay-Pot Chicken with To-Kill-For Embezzler's Purses
Yield: 8 purses (serving size: 1 purse)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.7g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 272mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 8 green onion tops
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 8 ounces packaged fresh spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 4 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, divided and melted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook onion tops in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté turkey 5 minutes or until done. Add spinach; cook until spinach wilts. Stir in cheese and next 5 ingredients (cheese through cinnamon); remove from heat.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly brush with 2 teaspoons butter. Top with a second phyllo sheet; cut into 4 squares. Spoon 1/3 cup turkey mixture in center of each square. Gather 4 corners of phyllo and crimp to seal, forming a purse. Tie 1 green onion strip around top of each purse. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, turkey mixture, and green onion strips. Place purses on a baking sheet, and bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers