The buttery orange curd is great, make it any flavor you want using different juices. Kick it up by adding pomegranate or a tbsp of super concentrated cranberry. However, I strongly suggest sprinkling powdered sugar on each piece just before serving to take the edge off the sour of the fruit. Do NOT put it on the whole pie as it will make the fruit weep and ruin it. This is a great finish to any Italian or Oriental meal where the food is very strong, spicy, garlicky.
Elegant Citrus Tart
Topping our tart are Florida-grown Ruby Red grapefruit and navel oranges and the brightest red grapefruit you can buy—the Rio Star from Texas.
More From Southern Living
10 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- Buttery Orange Curd
- 9 assorted citrus fruits, peeled and sectioned
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake coconut in a single layer in a shallow pan 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through; cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- 2. Pulse coconut, flour, and powdered sugar in a food processor 3 to 4 times or until combined. Add butter and coconut extract, and pulse 5 to 6 times or until crumbly. With processor running, gradually add 3 Tbsp. water, and process until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl.
- 3. Roll dough into a 12 1/2- x 8-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface; press on bottom and up sides of a 12- x 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Trim excess dough, and discard.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 40 minutes).
- 5. Spread Buttery Orange Curd over crust. Top with citrus sections.
- Note: To make a round tart, roll dough into a 10-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface; press on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom. Trim excess dough, and discard. Bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note