Elegant Beef Blue
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
- 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup beef consommé
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 8 small asparagus spears
- 1 1/2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Rub steaks with chopped thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add oil. Add steaks, and cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks, and keep warm; reserve drippings in skillet.
- Stir wine and consomme into drippings; increase heat to high. Cook, stirring often, until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in half-and-half, and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced to 1/2 cup or desired consistency. Keep warm.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a vegetable peeler, if desired. Cut spears in half, and place in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Top steaks with asparagus, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 6 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes